Branches Of Iban Peoples
Although Ibans generally speak a dialect which is mutually intelligible, they can be divided into different branches which are named after the geographical areas where they reside.
1) Majority of Ibans who live around the Lundu and Samarahan region are called Sebuyaus.
2) Ibans who settled in areas in Serian district (places like Kampung Lebor, Kampung Tanah Mawang & others) are called Remuns. They may be the earliest Iban group to migrate to Sarawak.
3) Ibans who originated from Sri Aman area are called Balaus.
4) Ibans who come from Betong, Saratok & parts of Sarikei are called Saribas.
5) The Lubok Antu Ibans are classed by anthropologist as Ulu Ai Ibans.
6) Ibans from Undup are called Undup Ibans. Their dialect is somewhat a cross between the Ulu Ai dialect & the Balau dialect.
7) Ibans living in areas from Sarikei to Miri are called Rajang Ibans. They are the majority group of the Iban people. They can be found along the Rajang River, Sibu, Kapit, Belaga, Kanowit, Song, Sarikei, Bintangor, Bintulu and Miri. Their dialect is somewhat similar to the Ulu Ai dialect.
In Kalimantan (Indonesian part of Borneo), Iban people are even more diverse. The Kantu, Air Tabun, Semberuang, Sebaru’ , Bugau, Mualang & along with many other groups are classed as “Ibanic people” by anthropologist. They can be related to the Iban either by the dialect they speak or their custom, ritual & their way of life.